Sunday 5 June 2011

...Guys, its time we modified the van!

So, Land Raiders. We love em, right? Massive mobile fortresses rumbling across the battle field dishing out death from afar. Machine Spirit splitting lascannon fire and a squad of elites assaulting out from a 12" move. But ask your self this, when was the last time it paid for its own points cost? At 250pts its gotta do alot of damage, or at least aid attacks by other units and take some attention of your more squishy stuff.

I myself find my lascannon shots bouncing off stuff and my landy generally disappointing once its delivered its cargo. And 250 is an expensive delivery boy!!

So, I figured it was time to come up with a plan and in good old fashioned style - Modify the Van.
For just 10 points you can buy yourself a multimelta for your ride. 10points!! With a lascannon you still only have a 1 in 3 chance of glancing an enemy land raider, even if your standing next to the thing and its got its eyes closed!! Now with a multimelta, get within 12" and that's 2D6 pen, the average roll on 2d6 is 7, so your gonna penetrating on just an average roll!! Plus all the goodness of an AP1 weapon. Oh yeah.
Now being cheap, I needed to make do with the stuff I have. Im not going out and buying stuff if I dont need too!!
So, here's what I used.
 Cupola stuff left over from my Baal Pred, a body front from a tact squad that looked suitably Tech Marine like. A left over Apothecary head and a shoulder pad which I think is from the old death company kit. And a multimelta which normally sits on my land speeder, which ive magnetised up so it was no hassle at all to, er, borrow it from them!!
 The Land Raider with its original cupola delicately removed.

And the spanky newest weapon for the Imperial Fists!! I meant to take some pictures during construction and painting but got a bit carried away and forgot! 
The gun is magnetised to the hand grip so that it can be removed and put on to the Landspeeder again and the Cupola has also been magnetised onto the Raider itself so that it can be taken off but wont rattle around or fall off. Hell it doesn't even fall off when turned up side down!

I like to paint my Techs with their own personal heraldry on the armour, different plates painted red and yellow. My Thunderfire and rhino gunner both have different combinations to.




So there we have it, hopefully I'll be able to give it a run out soon. I love it when a plan comes together...

2 comments:

  1. No idea why, but over the space of maybe.. 20 battles now, my Multimelta has only ever hit 3 times. I always, well almost always, roll a 1 to hit with it.

    So irritating!!

    I take it on a redeemer though so it's really just getting the points up to standard. Plus another weapon for them to try and blow off.

    LR looks good mate, great paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for the compliment Red, Id like to run it as a redeemer too, however things like bills keep preventing me from getting the conversion kit!! Damn you real life stuff!!

    ReplyDelete